Sara Stelzer, a freshman from San Diego State University, on a Saturday called her parents to complain of a bad headache soon paired with exhaustion and nausea.
By Tuesday morning, a friend of Sara’s informed Greg and his wife Laurie via text message that Sara was in the emergency room. Though Sara’s doctors, after determining she contracted bacterial meningitis, started her on antibiotics but it was too late. The infection had spread to her brain and spinal cord, causing her to suffer a stroke. By the time her parents reached her, she was brain dead. In less than two days, their daughter was gone.
According to Greg, Sara received the meningococcal conjugate vaccine but not the serogroup B meningococcal vaccine.
Greg & Laurie now continue to raise awareness, traveling to different universities to educate faculty, parents and students about the deadly disease and how to prevent it.
Read full story here