A Colgate student was diagnosed with bacterial meningococcal meningitis after being taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in Utica.
Meningococcal meningitis is a rare but serious bacterial infection. Meningitis may be fatal or cause great harm without immediate treatment.
Colgate’s Student Health Services in collaboration with the Madison County Department of Public Health and local emergency agencies to combat this issue. They have reached out to individuals who may have been in close contact with the patient, and have given these members of the campus community preventative treatment in the form of antibiotics. They are also offering vaccination clinics for all students who have not received two doses of the serogroup B immunization.
Read the full story here